Mid-range segment of smartphones in India is so much crowded that choosing the best handset among them has become a hectic task. As it wasn’t enough, the low-end segment is also becoming crowded. Over the last couple of months, we have seen several decent handsets under ₹10,000. And among them, we have Redmi 5, Honor 7C and Honor 9 Lite.
In this article, we are going to put them against one another and see which one is really good and worth its price. Before we start, let’s have a look on the specifications of these three handsets.
Redmi 5 Specifications and Features
|Display||5.7-inch IPS LCD, 720x1440px resolution, 18:9 aspect ratio|
|Chipset & GPU||Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 | Adreno 506|
|OS & RAM||Android 7.1.2 | 2GB/ 3GB RAM|
|Storage||16GB/32GB Internal | Expandable up to 128GB|
|Camera (Rear)||12MP, f/2.2, Phase Detection Autofocus, LED Flash|
|Battery||3,300mAh non-removable Li-Po battery|
Honor 7C Specifications and Features
|Display||5.99 inch IPS LCD, 720x1440px Resolution, 18:9 Aspect Ratio|
|SoC & GPU||Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 | Adreno 506|
|OS & RAM||Android 8.0 Oreo with EMUI 8.0 | 3GB or 4GB RAM|
|Storage||32GB or 64GB ROM | Expandable up to 256GB|
|Rear Camera||Dual 13MP + 2MP, PDAF, LED Flash|
|Front Camera||8MP, f/2.0, LED Flash|
|Battery||3000 mAh Li-Po Battery|
Honor 9 Lite Specifications and Features
|Display||5.65 inch IPS LCD, 1080x2160px Resolution, 18:9 Aspect Ratio|
|SoC & GPU||HiSilicon Kirin 659 | Mali-T830 MP2|
|OS & RAM||Android 8.0 Oreo (with EMUI 8.0) | 3GB or 4GB RAM|
|Storage||32GB or 64GB | Expandable up to 256GB|
|Rear Camera||13+2MP, PDAF, LED Flash|
|Battery||Li-Po 3,000 mAh Battery|
Design and Build Quality
- The Redmi 5 and Honor 7C have glass front panel and aluminum back panel. The Honor 9 Lite, on the other hand, has full glass body.
- While the Redmi and Honor 7C feel big in hands and might be a problem for those having small palms, the Honor 9 Lite is compact and one can easily reach to every corner of the screen.
- Among three, the Honor 9 Lite is also the lightest.
- Build quality of all three handsets is good but Honor 7C is better than the Redmi 5 as the latter has plastic top and bottom.
So the choice is yours, whether you want a sturdy handset or the beautifully-crafted all-glass device.
Display, OS and UI
- Among three, the Redmi 5 has the biggest display. Then comes the Honor 7C and finally the Honor 9 Lite.
- While the Redmi 5 and Honor 7C have just HD+ (720x1440px) resolution, the 9 Lite comes with full HD+ (1080x2160px) resolution.
- All three handsets have front glass panel, they reflect under direct sunlight.
- Color accuracy and vividness are good on Honor 7C and Redmi 5 but they aren’t better than the 9 Lite, thanks to its full HD+ resolution.
- Talking about OS, the Honor 9 Lite and Honor 7C run on Android 8.0 Oreo but the Redmi 5 still have Android 7.1.
- All three handsets come with their own customized skin and they have their own perks.
In this section, the Winner is Honor 9 Lite. The Redmi 5 and 7C are equally good.
Performance and Gaming
- Starting with benchmark, the Honor 9 Lite takes a lead. Whereas the 7C and Redmi 5 have scored nearly similar points on GeekBench. On 3DMark, the Honor 7C has the greatest score followed by Redmi 5 and Honor 9 Lite respectively.
- During normal usage, the trio runs fine. Normal social apps like Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp, multimedia apps like Music Player, video streaming apps like YouTube and utility apps like PayTM and Umang work fine.
- Normal games like Moto Racer, Clash of Clans and Hill Climb Racing also work fine.
- But the struggle starts on Redmi 5 and Honor 7C when I switch to graphics rich games. I was trying to play Shadow Fight 3, PUBG and Asphalt 8 on all three handsets. While the Redmi 5 and 7C started lagging after just 5 minutes, the Honor 9 Lite managed to keep them running smoothly. But yes, after 30 minutes, random stutters started appearing on 9 Lite.
- Graphics rendering on all the handsets is just average with the 9 Lite taking a lead. The performance of Honor 7C and Redmi 5, on the other hand, is more or less same. I saw often frame drops during heavy games. The 9 Lite, in contrast, managed to run the game seamlessly however random frame drops were seen on this device too.
- Despite of having same processor, the performance of Redmi 5 during multi-tasking is better than the Honor 7C. I was able to switch between heavy as well as normal apps without any lag. The 7C, in contrast, is operates normally when switching between normal games but it gets frozen when switching between heavy ones. The Honor 9 Lite is better than the rest two. It doesn’t lag.
In this section, the Honor 9 Lite takes a lead with being closely followed by Redmi 5 which is better than the Honor 7C.
- After seeing the samples, I think that this comparison was just between Honor 9 Lite and Redmi 5. The Honor 7C is hardly in the picture.
- Starting with daylight, the Honor 7C clicks average daylight photos with not so much details and less color accuracy. In contrast, the Redmi 5 is better than the Honor 7C. The image quality, color accuracy and details are better on Redmi 5 however, not better than the Honor 9 Lite.
- As we have told you in previous post, the HDR mode on Honor 7C doesn’t work. There is literally no difference between HDR and non-HDR photos. On the other hand, the Redmi 5 is good. I can see more details, sharpness and better color accuracy when HDR mode is on but when I put these samples against Honor 9 Lite, I found the 9 Lite to be better than the Redmi 5.
- And here comes the Bokeh mode – the only scenario where all three smartphones are equally good. I couldn’t find any noticeable difference between their samples.
- Coming to the lowlight, the Honor 7C is again out of the picture. The Redmi 5 and Honor 9 Lite click average lowlight photos with the latter taking a lead in terms of details, sharpness and brightness. The Honor 7C, on the other hand, goes with dark photos with less details.
- Another interesting thing is that the Honor 9 Lite doesn’t overexpose light part of the image whereas the 7C and Redmi 5 do.
- Turning on HDR mode doesn’t help the Honor 7C at all. There is no difference between HDR and non-HDR images. The Redmi 5 and Honor 9 Lite, on the other hand, do the job well with the latter taking a lead in terms of details. Color accuracy on both handsets is just average.
- Coming to selfies, the Honor 7C is good but not better than the Redmi 5 which is following Honor 9 Lite. The 9 Lite is best among them in terms of capturing realistic colors and better details. The Redmi 5 and 7C are following it respectively.
- Same is the case with beauty mode. Selfies taken from Honor 9 Lite are sharp with good color accuracy and details. The Redmi 5 and 7C are following it respectively.
- One thing is worth mentioning that the Redmi 5 manages to maintain natural facial contours when the beauty mode is turned on.
In this section, the Honor 9 Lite gets the crown. The Redmi 5 and Honor 7C are following it respectively.
- This is the only section where they don’t have considerable difference.
- The 7C and 9 Lite have 3000 mAh battery whereas the Redmi 5 has 3,300 mAh one.
- They all easily last a day on a single charge during normal usage but their backup time reduces to 14-16 hours during moderate usage.
- During heavy gaming and marathon usage, none of them last more than 4 hours.
- None of them come with fast charging. The Honor 9 Lite and Honor 7C take few minutes over 2 hours to completely charge the battery. The Redmi 5, on the other hand, took 2 hours and 15 minutes to fully charge the battery.
In this section, the trio has managed to impress us equally well.
In this comparison article, the Honor 7C was completely out of the picture. To be true, I feel that the comparison was between Redmi 5 and Honor 9 Lite. The Honor 7C does have decent specifications but the performance of camera and processor is average. The Redmi 5, on the other hand, is better than the Honor 7C whether we talk about camera or performance but it is not better than the Honor 9 Lite.
In this comparison article, the Honor 9 Lite is winner with its better performance and camera however it is being closely followed by Redmi 5.